It’s Hedgehog Awareness Week 2017 and to celebrate I am giving away a hedgehog brooch and hedgehog stud earrings gift set! Head on over to my Instagram page to enter, it’s easy!
HOW TO ENTER:
- Follow @gingerpickleshop on Instagram
- Like the hedgehog picture
- Tag a friend
What is National Hedgehog Awareness Week?
Hedgehog Awareness Week is an annual event which runs from 30th April to 6th May 2017 and is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society. It aims to highlight the problems hedgehogs face and how the public can help them.
This year efforts are focussed on the strimmer campaign. The British Hedgehog Preservation Society have produced water proof stickers that they have sent to councils, tool hire companies, grounds maintenance teams, etc free of charge on request. The stickers remind people to check areas for hedgehogs before using any machinery.
As well as checking areas before cutting there are other things you can do to help too:
- Ensure there is hedgehog access in your garden – a 13cm x 13cm gap in boundary fences and walls.
- Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it.
- Ensure netting is kept at a safe height.
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in.
- Stop or reduce the amount of pesticides and poisons used.
- Cover drains or deep holes.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds and pools.
BHPS Chief Executive, Fay Vass, said “We are asking people to pledge to do at least one positive thing for hedgehogs during the week and if possible let us know, send us pictures of the hedgehog hole or home you create, or from the event you organise!”
So there you have it lovelies, I think this is a fantastic campaign and really good for the little hedgehogs, anything we can do to help, as there is nothing worse than seeing our spikey friends in danger.
If you want to find out more, check out the Hedgehog Awareness Preservation Society website for more details.